Monday, August 8, 2011

Intrepid girl historian seeks dissertation, revelation, and the possible meaning of life

      I always claim that I majored in history because I couldn't major in everything.  This is a lie.  Well, a little lie.  I appreciate that history has let me ramble through any number of academic curiosities from eighteenth-century cartoons to thirteenth-century Irish dress codes and modern Minnesota politics. Historians proved much friendlier to my "serendipity works" mindset than did Chemists.

    But in truth I became a historian the day I fell for stories.  I do history because, at the very heart of the matter, I love nothing in the world more than stories - reading them, hearing them, telling them - always have, always will.  And in the course of falling for stories as a little kid, I heard the stories of a great many intrepid girls.  But among the intrepid-est of intrepid young ladies was Nancy - with her blue roadster and cunning detection, Nancy Drew seemed, to eight-year-old me, the height of cool.  And while, in a more grown-up mindset, I recognize that I'd rather not be clubbed or chloroformed while in pursuit of my detecting, I still hope to channel the famed girl detective in my own work- being a girl (things) detective.

   Hence the blog

    I'll try to let it reconnect me to what I love - the stories of my dissertation.  I'll spin tales of what I read and see and uncover as I continue to dissertate furiously onward.

    So let's keep the blue roadster idling at the curb -- I could be off on the trail of a menacing black sedan (of the historical variety) at any moment.  That's just how we intrepid girl historians roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment